ADA guide to substance use disorders available

The ADA has published a new guide designed to assist dental practitioners in dealing with complicated pain/sedation management and opioid abuse issues. The ADA Practical Guide to Substance Use Disorders and Safe Prescribing also addresses regulations dentists must follow regarding the storage and recordkeeping of controlled substances.

Edited by Michael O'Neil, PharmD, chapter topics include drug diversion; understanding the disease of substance use disorders (SUD); detection and deterrence of SUD and drug diversion; office management of controlled substances; and addiction and impairment in the dental professional. The guide also covers commonly used illicit, prescription and over-the-counter drugs, in addition to alcohol and tobacco.

This first-of-its-kind guide addresses the many issues of substance use disorders in the dental practice and provides practical information to guide the decision-making of dental practitioners in order to protect their patients, their staff and the public.

The ADA Practical Guide to Substance Use Disorders and Safe Prescribing can be ordered at adacatalog.org or by calling the ADA Member Service Center at 800.947.4746. ADA member price is $59.95 and retail price is $89.95.

Related Items

In California, more than 1 billion dosage units of hydrocodone combination products were dispensed in the 2013-14 fiscal year, according to the state’s Controlled Substance Utilization Review and Evaluation System (CURES). What's more, approximately 100 percent of the hydrocodone use worldwide occurs in the U.S., according to Tony J. Park, PharmD, JD, who co-hosted a lecture on the topic at CDA Presents The Art and Science of Dentistry in Anaheim on May 2.

New dentists have a lot to juggle and think about after graduating from dental school – one of the things that shouldn’t fall through the cracks is making sure they have the proper permits to dispense controlled substances and administer conscious sedation. When dentists become licensed, they automatically have the ability to write prescriptions for antibiotics, fluoride and other non-controlled substances such as Ibuprofen. When it comes to prescribing, dispensing and administering controlled substances, however, they must first register with the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration.